Sunday, March 19, 2023

Ethically (???) Sourced Computers

 Hello again! This is going to be a shorter blog, and one that isn't as informational as any past blog posts, but I still figure its a pretty integral story to tell in relation to the production of the short film. As mentioned in the last blog post, I'm going to tell you now about how I got the broken computer props that will be used in the key art and short film.

    When I first started working on this film, I knew a big issue would be the computer prop that the film revolves around. Personally, I didn't want to destroy my own computer, and buying a whole new computer would've been expensive and a hassle. So, I reached out to a close friend of mine who is well-versed in everything computer related, and asked if he could help me out. Turns out, he has a bunch of old computers that are all old, big, and barely functional... perfect for me!

    When he sent the video above displaying one of the computers he was offering me, I was pleased enough that I was willing to pay a cheap price for the broken computer, meaning my film officially had a budget! How exciting! We made plans to meet and exchange goods.

    When I got home after the deal, the first thing I did was plug in the computer, log into the user, and try displaying the title screen for the film, to get an idea of how the key art would look, and safe to say, it looked pretty damn cool. Satisfied with my purchase, I put it away for the day, and made plans with my buddy Sebi to shoot the key art the following day.

    What I didn't expect was that a broken computer... would be broken. Huh. Go figure. When I unplugged the computer to take it to the shoot, the screen immediately went dark. Panicking, I pressed all the buttons, tapped the screen, and much more, before checking the inside of the computer, only to be met with a distinct empty space where the battery of the computer should've been. Uh oh.

This meant that the computer wouldn't be able to turn on without it being plugged into an outlet, which would be hard to find in a hole in the middle of a forest. Since this presented a serious technical issue, I furiously texted the computer dealer, asking where the hell the battery was. After a brief discussion, he said he could offer me a replacement computer, and he'd take back the one I currently had to fix it at his place. However, since it was too late to go replace the computer AND do the photoshoot, I opted to just take the dead computer and try my best anyways, which I go more into depth in this blog post.

    Anyways, the next day I came by his place, swapped computers, and tested out the new replacement laptop. Once again (somehow), I was surprised that a broken computer salesman would give me a broken computer. I had anticipated some damage, but not nearly to this extent. This was an ironic situation, as I now had a computer that was practically efficient, but visually unusable, as opposed to the previous computer, which was visually perfect, but practically unusable.



    So now that leads me to today, where we met up for dinner, and exchanged computers once again. Now, I have the original computer, which retains the perfect visual but with a battery attached to it after the day at his place. So I'm in the perfect place to shoot the real, official key art tomorrow! I'm so excited! Hope this was an interesting read, because it was certainly an interesting process to get my hands on ONE prop. Stay tuned for the casting list dropping today!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

      COMPUTER FUNERAL , at its core, strives to highlight and reflect on one major issue that’s prevalent in modern times: an overdependenc...